Recently a new series of Channel 5’s ‘Cowboy Builders’ started. One article concerned a family in Milton Keynes who paid a builder £34,000 to convert their garage, bathroom and toilet. Six months later, with the work unfinished, the builder disappeared with their money.
Here are a few ways you could avoid the same costly and stressful outcome:
- Ask for references from the contractors previous developments. Definitely speak to or better still visit that customer. See the quality of the work and ask questions regarding value for money, timelyness, customer service and after care. See the quality of the finished product for yourself. All credible builders should be able to supply references;
- Check your builder has sufficient Public Liability Insurance.
- Arrange ‘Stage payments‘ before any work starts. At Chilltime Develpments a typical 25% stage payment schedule might be; First payment upon commencing works; second, once the build is up to damp course; third, once the roof plate is in place; final payment once the building inspector has passed the construction and the customer is handed the certificates.
- Check out customer reviews on the contractors website.
- Fully utilise personal recommendation if possible.
Here at Chilltime Developments we strive to provide a service and a finished product that we can all be proud of.
If you are considering developing or updating any aspect of your house or workspace in West Sussex or Hampshire contact us for a free no obligation quote.